Resident Doctors Have Called Off Their Strike
Resident doctors under the aegis of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) have suspended their nationwide strike action.
The strike commenced on August 2.
Resident doctors are fresh medical school graduates and doctors in training. They dominate the wards of Nigeria's teaching and specialist hospitals and constitute some 50 percent of the medical workforce in Nigeria.
NARD had embarked on the strike to press home demands bordering on irregular pay and poor working conditions.
NARD President Godiya Ishaya tells TheCable that the association has officially called off the strike.
The decision to call off the strike was reached during an emergency meeting with the association’s national executive council, Ishaya adds.
“We’ve officially suspended the strike and will resume 8:00 am on Wednesday. We made the decision in the wee hours of today.
"We held an emergency meeting from 5:30 pm on Sunday to the morning hours of today, and the NEC decided that having reviewed the progress made so far, the strike should be suspended,” he said.
The federal government had threatened to not pay the doctors if they continued with their strike.
The government also dragged NARD before an industrial court.
- ●Comedian Oluwa Dollars involved in a car accident in Lekki, Lagos
- ●Man shouts out in the wake of getting N1k charge for plate that was utilized in serving him in a lodging
- ●Chaos Among Billionaires As Actress Caroline Danjuma Says She Is Ready For Love Again
- ●Court orders FG to pay N20bn to Sunday Igboho
- ●IPOB declares another sit-at-home in the South East
- ●Twitter ban remains as Nigeria loses N220.36bn
- ●Final year student misses last paper after police officers allegedly stormed his hostel and illegally arrested him
- ●Bernard Arnault beats Jeff Bezos, becomes the richest man in the world
- ●We will welcome Goodluck Jonathan if he defects to our party – APC
- ●Twitter ban: Discussions with the Nigerian government have been respectful and productive - Twitter Spokesperson