Possible Jail Term For Ethopians Who Violate COVID-19 Guidelines
thiopians face a two year jail term if they deliberately violate restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19, amid concern that citizens are becoming lax after a state of emergency was lifted, the attorney general’s office has said.
“Now it is as if COVID is no longer there, the public is not taking care,” Health Minister Lia Tadesse tweeted on Thursday. “This will cause a possible increase in the spread of the disease and might be a threat to the nation.”
Ethiopia, Africa’s second-most populous nation declared a state of emergency in April to curb the spread of the pandemic. It was lifted in September.
The health ministry has recorded 91,118 COVID-19 cases, 1,384 deaths and 44,506 recoveries so far. The disease peaked there toward the end of August, but its difficult to know the true picture because testing has been also scaled back due to limited resources. At least 79 people died of COVID-19 in the past week, the health ministry said, but less than 2% of deaths are formally recorded.
The new law permits fines and imprisonment for up to two years for anyone breaks the restrictions, the attorney general’s office said in a statement on its Facebook page on Wednesday.
Ethiopia also postponed its regional and parliamentary elections scheduled for August due to the outbreak. They are expected to be held next year.
- ●US President, Joe Biden condemns Iraqi PM survives assasination attempt
- ●Louis Vuitton's artistic director and the founder of Off-White, Titan Virgil Abloh dies at 41 after private cancer battle
- ●Trump tells the US to invade and 'bomb the hell' out of Afghanistan if the Taliban doesn't return billions in US weapons and equipment
- ●President Joe Biden and other world leaders are given microphone 'condoms' at UN amid COVID fears (photos)
- ●Elon Musk says he forgets Bernie Sanders is alive after tax demand
- ●Donald Trump says he’d beat Joe Biden in a boxing match
- ●Users frustrated as Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp crash
- ●North Korea fires new long-range cruise missiles developed by the country's engineers
- ●President Biden on Afghanistan withdrawal, Taliban takeover intelligence decisions l WNT
- ●I Will Not Attend The Inauguration On January 20th – Donald Trump