Mexico Police Open Fire On Femicide Protest In Cancún
Human rights activists in Mexico have expressed indignation after police opened fire on protesters who tried to force their way into Cancún city hall during a demonstration against the country's femicide crisis.
Four journalists were injured in the incident late on Monday, including two who suffered bullet wounds. Eight protesters were reportedly detained after the shootingThe demonstration was called after the dismembered body of 20-year-old Bianca “Alexis” Lorenzana, was found, days after she disappeared. It was the latest in a string of grisly crimes against women and girls in the Caribbean state of Quintana Roo.
Approximately 10 women are murdered in Mexico each day, prompting protests by an increasingly outspoken feminist movement over successive governments’ apparent inability to stem the violence.
Activists’ frustration has focused on the country’s current leftist president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador,who has downplay gender issues and accused feminist critics of allying with his conservative political opponents.
Lorenzana’s mother had originally asked for a peaceful march to demand justice for her daughter. But partway through the demonstration she changed her mind, reportedly telling protesters: “Burn it all, because Alexis would have done that for you.”
- ●US President, Joe Biden condemns Iraqi PM survives assasination attempt
- ●Louis Vuitton's artistic director and the founder of Off-White, Titan Virgil Abloh dies at 41 after private cancer battle
- ●Trump tells the US to invade and 'bomb the hell' out of Afghanistan if the Taliban doesn't return billions in US weapons and equipment
- ●Elon Musk says he forgets Bernie Sanders is alive after tax demand
- ●President Joe Biden and other world leaders are given microphone 'condoms' at UN amid COVID fears (photos)
- ●Donald Trump says he’d beat Joe Biden in a boxing match
- ●Users frustrated as Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp crash
- ●North Korea fires new long-range cruise missiles developed by the country's engineers
- ●President Biden on Afghanistan withdrawal, Taliban takeover intelligence decisions l WNT
- ●I Will Not Attend The Inauguration On January 20th – Donald Trump