Court Jails Genesis Prophet For Fraud
The Lagos State High Court in Ikeja on Wednesday convicted a popular Lagos-based cleric, Prophet Israel Ogundipe, of fraud charges.
Ogundipe, who is the Shepherd-in-Charge of Celestial Church of Christ Global Genesis parish, had been dragged to court on the complaint of a London-based architect, Mrs Olaide Williams-Oni, who accused him of obtaining a total of N17m from her with the promise to help her procure some landed property.
The prophet was prosecuted on seven counts, but was found guilty on two by Justice Olabisi Akinlade.
The judge dismissed five of the charges for lack of evidence.
The judge sentenced Ogundipe to one year’s imprisonment on each count, but said the prison terms would run concurrently.
In her testimony before the court, Williams-Oni had told the court that she met the cleric in 2002 during her visit to Nigeria, when she was taken to his church for prayers by her step-sister.
Ogundipe was arraigned in 2007.
- ●Anthony Okechukwu Dead (one of the protesters at Lekki Toll gate)
- ●Most Powerful Photos From EndSarz Campaign In Nigeria That Will Be Remembered In History
- ●Chioma Dumps Her Boyfriend For The Alaafin of Oyo
- ●MC Oluomo Sends Thugs To Attack Nigerians In Ikeja
- ●Army To Embark On Cyber Warfare Exercise Amid EndSARS Protests