BREAKING NEWS!! UEFA Remove Away Goal Rule From The Champions League
UEFA has confirmed that the away goals rule will be abolished from European competitions, with the rule change being put into place in time for the start of the 2021-22 season.
The away goals rule has been used for over half a century but will no longer decide knockout matches in UEFA club competitions, including the Champions League and Europa League.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin explained that the rule now “runs counter to its original purpose” and stated his belief that it dissuades teams from playing attacking football.
A UEFA statement confirming the news read:
“Following the recommendation of the UEFA Club Competitions Committee and the UEFA Women’s Football Committee, the UEFA Executive Committee has today approved a proposal to remove the so-called away goals rule from all UEFA club competitions (men, women and youth) as of the qualifying phases of the 2021-22 competitions.
“The away goals rule was applied to determine the winner of a two-legged knockout tie in cases where the two teams had scored the same number of goals on aggregate over the two matches. In such cases, the team which had scored the higher number of goals away from home was considered the winner of the tie and qualified for the next round of the competition. If the two teams had scored the same number of goals at home and away at the end of normal playing time in the second leg, extra time was played, followed by kicks from the penalty mark if no goal was scored.
“With the decision to remove this rule, ties in which the two teams score the same number of goals over the two legs would be not decided on the number of goals scored away, but two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the second leg and in case the teams score the same number of goals or no goals during this extra time, kicks from the penalty mark would determine the team which qualifies to the next stage of the competition.
- ●5 Clubs With High Chance Of Winning 2021/22 Champions League Title
- ●Champions League: Manchester City 1-1 RB Leipzig - Watch Match Highlights
- ●Real Madrid Vs Celta vigo 5-2 Match Highlights
- ●Champion League: Young Boys 2-1 Manchester United - Watch Match Highlights
- ●Champions league: Club Brugge 1-1 PSG - Watch Match Highlights
- ●Watch MANCHESTER UNITED VS NEWCASTLE Goal Highlights
- ●Former Chelsea and Senegal striker Demba Ba retires from football at 36
- ●Get Your New 2021 Sportybet Balance Adder App At Best Lower Price That You Are Looking For
- ●Champions League: Chelsea 1-0 Zenith - Watch Match Highlights
- ●BREAKING NEWS!! UEFA Remove Away Goal Rule From The Champions League