Breaking: Baba Ijesha Has Been Granted Bail
Nollywood actor, Omiyinka Olanrewaju a. k. a. Baba Ijesha has been granted bail by an Ikeja sexual offences court sitting in Lagos State.
The presiding judge, Toyin Taiwo granted the actor bail on Thursday after hearing the submissions of the prosecution and defense in the alleged sexual defilement of a minor brought against Baba Ijesha.
It will be recalled as earlier reported that Baba Ijesha had pleaded not guilty to all the charges bordering on rape, sexual assault and abuse of a minor levelled against him.
Appearing before Justice Taiwo, the state counsel, Olayinka Adeyemi said that the state had filed six counts of charges against the defendant urging the court to take the plea of the defendant.
Subsequently, Adeyemi asked for a trial date while asking the court to remand the defendant in a correctional facility pending commencement of trial.
In a counter-reaction, the defendant counsel, Babatunde Ogala (SAN), informed the court that the defense team had filed a bail application and have served the same on the prosecuting team.
He urged the court to grant them an audience to argue the bail application.
However, the state counsel, Adeyemi opposed the prayer stating that her team is yet to verify the medical report which the defense relies on for his bail consideration.In a short ruling, Justice Taiwo granted the request of the defense team and asked parties to argue the bail application.
The embattled actor has been in police custody since April 22, 2021, when the Lagos State Police Command announced his arrest for allegedly sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in the care of Princess.
Baba Ijesha in May was granted bail by magistrates and judicial workers on tour to decongest prisons in the state during the industrial action by the Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria.
However, Baba Ijesha could not meet the bail conditions which include N500,000 and a level 16 civil servant as surety.
He was subsequently arraigned before the Lagos State Magistrates’ Court in Yaba last Wednesday on charges bordering on rape, sexual assault and abuse of a minor.
The actor was charged with indecent treatment of a child, defilement of a child, sexual assault by penetration, attempted sexual assault by penetration and sexual assault, which contravene sections 135, 137, 261, 202, 262 and 263 of the Lagos State Criminal Law, 2015.
he has not. this is not right and is just biased judgment[Reply] drphil707 said:
Jun 25, 2021 at 06:23 PMHope he has learnt his lesson
- ●Nigerian tech genius dies in his sleep, 7 days after winning a N69billion US govt contract
- ●“She was never anointed, this is ridiculous” – Crisis in Synagogue church as members reject T.B Joshua’s widow
- ●Young boy tries to pluck out his mother’s eyes for money rituals in a bid to buy a Mercedes Benz.
- ●SCOAN names TB Joshua’s wife, Evelyn as new leader
- ●Commotion as Eko Hotel staff tries to prevent Super Eagles players from training (video)
- ●“Sex before marriage is not a sin, any pastor saying it’s a sin is an enemy of the finished work and is not real” – Pastor Olakunle Beloved Jesukale
- ●Why You Must Never Participate On The SilhouetteChallenge Trend On Social Media
- ●Obi Cubana, Kanayo O Kanayo, others risk six months jail term
- ●“Prophet TB Joshua’s ministry did a lot of damage” — OAP Sandra Ezekwesili.
- ●Breaking: Baba Ijesha Has Been Granted Bail